A consultation was launched after the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children was deemed unsustainable due to the numbers of patients it deals with – around 90 per year.
The board recommended developing a children’s cardiology centre in Belfast, but said it will not be a 24/7 service.
John Compton, the Chief Executive of the Health and Social Care Board, said: “Our job is to assess a population and say how best should we provide services to that population?
“In this context, it is much better, I believe, to build a service round an all Ireland solution. Rather than leave a service which has uncertainty and which has fragility – that I think is irresponsible,” he added.
In a statement, the Department of Health confirmed that a working group’s preferred option was for surgery and interventional cardiology to be carried out at a new children’s hospital in Dublin.
Enhanced transport links will be put in place and surgeons from Northern Ireland will work alongside clinicians in Dublin.
Belfast will receive new investment in cardiology facilities, including MRI.
The working group included clinicians, parents of children with congenital cardiac disease, parents’ group representatives, service providers and commissioners.
Following the recommendation on Thursday, Health Minister Edwin Poots said he wanted to hold further discussions with representatives in the Republic before he makes his final decision on the matter.
My key priority in all of this is to ensure the delivery of a safe and sustainable service for these vulnerable children in so doing, I want to ensure that we have fully explored every possibility for addressing the concerns which have been raised with me by parents and by consultants.
Health Minister Edwin Poots
The Minister added: “No-one should underestimate the sensitivity and scale of the task undertaken by the Working Group. I recognise that at times it has been a challenging and difficult process for all involved especially the families.
“I want to thank everyone who played a part for their energy, honesty and dedication. It is important that we recognise and thank, not just the Working Group, but all the mothers, fathers, grandparents and family members who came forward on behalf their own children to public meetings, focus groups or to speak to me directly.”
Back in February, UTV revealed that the Belfast Trust was in favour of moving some children’s cardiac surgery to Dublin.
According to a documents obtained by patients’ families under the Freedom of Information Act, the Trust favours a gradual transition taking no longer than a year.
The document said: “The resulting combined all-Ireland surgical service would have a case load of at least 650 surgical patients per year, easily meeting the minimum number of 400 paediatric surgical procedures per annum.”
The Children’s Heartbeat Trust has been campaigning to keep services at the Royal open.
Its chairman, retired paediatric cardiologist Dr Connor Mullholland, said the Trust’s conclusion is “ill-informed and ill-advised” and that children’s lives may potentially be put at risk.
He said: “It does not, at this point, support the evidence from several reviews of the cardiac surgery within the Children’s Hospital.”
Parents are also claiming the move to Dublin will put their children’s health in danger.
Joanne Clifford said that if the services had been in the Republic when her baby was diagnosed with a heart problem, she would not have been able to travel with her child due to receiving an emergency caesarean.
“It’s frightening, the whole thought of it ” she added.
Ms Clifford said that the minister needs to listen to the clinicians and staff in caring for the children at the Royal Hospital.
“The clinicians deal with the kids day in, day out. They know the children, they know the emergencies as well.”
Ulster Unionist Health spokesperson, Roy Beggs MLA said that the Health Minister has not clearly explained why the service is unsustainable.
“The final decision lies with Edwin Poots. He can say no to this recommendation,” Mr Beggs said.
“This is not a time for the Minister to be shirking his responsibilities to the Northern Ireland public who depend on the Health Service, for which he is solely accountable.”
Emotional parent gets round of applause as she talks of her disappointment at HSC Board recommendation. Parents appalled at decision
— Marc Mallett (@MarcMallett_UTV) April 25, 2013
Parliamentary reports show first speaker only - follow this lnk for the full transcription.
Articles may come from parliamentary reports, various public news feeds and Google News Search. Content is republished here for context. Copyright is respected and remains with the original author at all times. Original Article:http://www.u.tv/News/Heart-surgery-recommendations-due/534cacf3-b6b1-4d32-af92-62a80387932a