Tag Archives: East Antrim MLA

‘Answers needed’ following news of patient recall

<!– –> ANSWERS are needed as to why it took so long to recall more than 2,500 neurology patients, an MLA has claimed. Ulster Unionist Roy Beggs said concerns were first raised more than 16 months ago and Dr Michael Watt has not seen patients since last June. He said it “seems inexplicable” that it has taken almost a further year for a review to conclude and patients to be contacted by the Belfast health trust. “There is a very real possibility that some patients may have been misdiagnosed and have still been receiving the wrong treatment over all this time,” he said. “Whilst I really hope it hasn’t happened, I fear that some patients may have come to some harm in the intervening period. Why has it taken so long before patients have been contacted? “Lessons need to be learnt to reduce the likelihood of this happening again and … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Concerns over ambulance cover in East Antrim

Concerns have been raised over how mounting pressures within the health service have impacted on ambulance cover in the east Antrim area. Mid and East Antrim councillor Jim Brown raised the issue during a meeting of the local government authority on May 8. Speaking in support of a motion to mark the upcoming 70th anniversary of the NHS, Cllr Brown said an ambulance crew member had informed him there was “no emergency cover in Larne, Carrickfergus or Newtownabbey” on two evenings during the previous week, April 30 and May 1. He added: “The best tribute we can give as a council is to call for investment in services to ensure that finance is made available. We need to support the providers to stand with the ambulance men, stand with the nurses to ensure that services are being delivered responsibly and economically.” Responding, a spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Rail bridge collisions ‘endangering commuters’ – Beggs

The Department for Infrastructure has been urged to review warning signage on Carrick’s North Road/St Brides Street railway bridge following two vehicle strikes inside a week. On Monday morning a bus hit the structure damaging its roof and leading to traffic delays on the busy commuter route. Parts of the vehicle at the bridge following Monday’s incident. The previous Tuesday a lorry became stuck underneath the bridge, which has a height restriction of 3.3m. In the wake of the latest incidents, East Antrim MLA Roy Beggs called on Transport NI to help end the collisions. The UUP representative said: “Last week a lorry struck the North Road railway bridge blocking the road and disrupting rail users. A few days later a touring bus has struck the bridge. “This is a vital railway bridge, serving the Larne to Belfast railway line and the ongoing repeated collisions are endangering and disrupting commuters. … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Power supply fears prompt call to keep Kilroot open

Kilroot power station should be kept open because of a energy reduction at a nuclear power plant in Scotland, an MLA has said. Roy Beggs called for the retention of the Co Antrim station after it emerged that there were cracks in the reactor at Hunterston B plant in Ayrshire. Electricity generation from Hunterston B could fall by 40% this year after the cracks were discovered. A planned inspection of the graphite bricks that make up the core of Reactor 3 in March uncovered new “keyway root cracks”. Kilroot was facing closure in 2024 for environmental reasons related to its coal-burning technology, but its owner AES said earlier this year that it will in fact close at the end of this month. The closure will lead to the loss of 270 jobs. The cracks at Hunterston B were found to be developing at a slightly higher rate than anticipated, operator … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

RVH doctor probe: Pressure mounts on Belfast health trust over its ‘wall of silence’

North Belfast SDLP MLA Nichola Mallon said she had contacted the Belfast Trust about Dr Watt in December 2017, but had not received satisfactory answers to her questions By David Young May 3 2018 A Northern Ireland health trust at the centre of a growing misdiagnosis scandal has been accused of hiding behind a wall of silence. The Belfast Trust came under criticism after failing to answer a series of questions around Dr Michael Watt.   I fear private patients like myself who were treated by consultant will be ignored  Duty of candour needed for medical profession: SDLP Complaints not raised with Sinn Fein’s O’Neill as minister   A high-level review of the work of Dr Watt, a neurology consultant, has led to the biggest ever recall of patients by the trust. Some 2,500 patients are being summoned back for a case review over fears they have been misdiagnosed. And … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment