Tributes are paid to man electrocuted while changing a light bulb in garden shed

Ian Patterson died after being electrocuted
Ian Patterson died after being electrocuted

Ian Patterson died after being electrocuted
The scene in Articlave

By Mark Edwards and David Young

January 19 2019 8:00 AM

Tributes have been paid to a businessman who died after being electrocuted at his Co Londonderry home.

Ian Patterson (44), from Articlave, near Castlerock, was reportedly changing a lightbulb in a shed at the time.

It is understood local people tried to use a nearby defibrillator – which Mr Patterson had helped raise funds for – in a bid to save his life.

DUP MLA Maurice Bradley, who knew Mr Patterson, said the incident was a tragedy.

“Ian was a popular businessman who in recent years had supplied quality trophies to the Coleraine and District League, of which I am a member,” Mr Bradley said.

“I would extend my deepest sympathy to Ian’s immediate family and extended family circle and also the tight-knit community of Articlave, where he resided.”

Described by friends as ‘a complete gentleman’, Mr Patterson worked as a TV aerial and satellite dish installer.

Former Stormont Justice Minister Claire Sugden, who lives close by in Castlerock, said: “Ian was a gentleman.

“He was so likeable and held in the highest regard by all who knew him and those he worked for through his business.

“Ian played a significant role in the local community in Articlave and recently supported getting two defibrillators in the village – one at the church and another at the village shop.”

The Independent East Londonderry MLA added: “I’m really saddened by Ian’s death, he was taken far too soon. It’s a terrible blow to the village. No one can really believe that he’s gone.

“It’s hit everyone hard. Everyone knew him, he was the man everyone went to for TV and aerial work. I want to offer my deepest sympathies to his family, friends and all who knew him.”

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said: “We received a 999 emergency call at 11.05am on Friday. The caller reported that a patient had collapsed following electrocution.

“An accident and emergency ambulance was dispatched to the scene immediately and the Air Ambulance Helimed23 attended shortly after.”

Mr Patterson died at the scene.

A second person was also injured in the incident, but was treated at the scene by paramedics and did not require hospital treatment.

A spokeswoman for the Articlave Defibrillator Fundraising Group said: “Ian was one of the sponsors who helped us get defibrillators into the village – one in the church, and the other in the village shop.

“We would like to pass on our condolences to the family. We all knew Ian. He was a lovely fellow, and absolute gentleman.

“It saddens us that this has happened in our community.”

The PSNI last night confirmed officers had attended a report of a sudden death of a man at the Rockmount Gardens area of Articlave yesterday morning.

A post-mortem is due to take place. Mr Patterson’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

The Health and Safety Executive has been made aware of the incident.

Belfast Telegraph

Parliamentary reports show first speaker only - follow this lnk for the full transcription.
Articles may come from parliamentary reports, various public news feeds and Google News Search. Content is republished here for context. Copyright is respected and remains with the original author at all times. Original Article:

This entry was posted in In The News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.