Sinn Fein leaders ‘face test’ after Gerry Kelly apparently cuts clamp from car

He removed it after finding his vehicle had been immobilised while he was at a gym in Belfast city centre on Friday morning, the party said.

The private parking firm that controls the area outside the Metropolitan Arts Centre (MAC) near St Anne’s Cathedral reported the matter to police.

DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds said he was not holding his breath waiting for action from Sinn Fein’s leadership.

“They preach respect but show little or no respect for people, rules or laws which they disagree with.

“They preach equality but, to them, some are more equal than others.”

It is the latest row to hit Sinn Fein after its West Tyrone MP Barry McElduff resigned under pressure after posting a tweet with a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the anniversary of the republican Kingsmill massacre in 1976.

Mr Dodds added: “This is another significant test for the Sinn Fein leadership.”

A Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) statement said police in north Belfast received a report of criminal damage in the Exchange Street area of Belfast at around 2.20pm on Friday.

“It is believed that damage was caused to the wheel-clamp of a car.”

Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) leader Jim Allister called for the Northern Ireland Assembly member to resign and the police to take action.

“It must be demonstrated he is not above the law,” he said.

A spokesman for parking firm PEA told the Belfast Telegraph: “PEA is aware of this incident and has reported the matter to the PSNI (Police Service Northern Ireland) as we do in all such cases.”

Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams with Gerry Kelly, right, who is the party’s policing spokesman

Social media footage appears to show Mr Kelly kneeling down to remove the orange device from the vehicle’s right-hand wheel, before resting it against a nearby wall.

A pair of bolt cutters appear to be lying beside the wheel.

A Sinn Fein spokesman said: “Yesterday, Friday 2 February, Gerry Kelly MLA returned to his car​ after an early morning gym session to find that his car had been made immobile by a clamp just after 7.20am.

“​H​e removed the clamp from the front wheel. He left the device nearby and drove off to pre-arranged meetings.

“His solicitor is dealing with the matter and he will be making no further comment at this time.”

Parliamentary reports show first speaker only - follow this lnk for the full transcription.
Articles may come from parliamentary reports, various public news feeds and Google News Search. Content is republished here for context. Copyright is respected and remains with the original author at all times. Original Article:

This entry was posted in In The News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.