Tag Archives: East Antrim MLA

Andrew Nesbitt’s death ‘an absolute tragedy’… tributes paid to Carrick man who died in road accident

Condolences have been paid to the family of Andrew Nesbitt, who died in a single vehicle road crash in Co Antrim on Monday night. The 55-year-old from the Carrickfergus area passed away following the collision on the Shore Road, Newtownabbey. It is understood Mr Nesbitt was travelling home from work when the incident occurred. In a death notice, Mr Nesbitt’s family said he will always be “loved and remembered” and is the devoted son of David and the late Norma, and the loving brother of David, Derek, Lynn and the late Roy. At approximately 11.10pm on Monday, it was reported to the PSNI that a black Suzuki motorbike was involved in an incident. Police attended the scene, along with the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service, where Mr Nesbitt was pronounced dead. The Alliance Party’s East Antrim MLA, Stewart Dickson, said it was an “absolute tragedy” for Mr Nesbitt’s family and friends. Expand … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

North Belfast kidnap bid accused must remain in custody, rules judge

A man accused of trying to bundle a woman into the boot of a car must remain in custody, a High Court judge ruled on Monday. Jonathan Beggs was refused bail amid allegations that he took part in an attack on a North Belfast street. The 30-year-old, of Cultra Street in the city, denies charges of attempted kidnapping and common assault. Crown lawyer Adrian Higgins claimed the woman was targeted while she walked on Skegoneill Avenue with her boyfriend in the early hours of December 13 last year. A 4×4 vehicle driven by another female stopped abruptly in front of them, with Beggs allegedly getting out and grabbing the injured party by the neck. The prosecutor contended that the driver shouted out the window “get her into the boot” and passed a kitchen knife to a second man who used it to keep the woman’s boyfriend back. Beggs then allegedly … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Temporary centres to open to tackle driving test backlog

New temporary centres will open this month to deal with Northern Ireland’s driving test backlog, Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has said. During ministerial question time, the Assembly heard about one case where a young man had passed his theory test in May, but the earliest practical test date he could book was in October. Theory and practical tests were cancelled when lockdown was re-imposed in Northern Ireland on December 26 and reopened for priority groups in April, before reopening to all in May. The DUP has consistently challenged the SDLP minister over the backlog, and has stated that more than 20,000 people are waiting for a practical test. Expand Close SDLP deputy leader and Minister for Infrastructure, Nichola Mallon MLA updated the Assembly on the driving test backlog (Liam McBurney/PA) PA /SDLP deputy leader and Minister for Infrastructure, Nichola Mallon MLA updated the Assembly on the driving test backlog (Liam … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Arlene Foster re-appointed First Minister as powersharing returns to Northern Ireland

Updated Jan 11th 2020, 5:05 PM STORMONT’S FIRST AND deputy first ministers have been appointed after powersharing returned to Northern Ireland. DUP leader Arlene Foster resumes the first minister role she lost when the last coalition executive collapsed in 2017 while Sinn Féin’s Stormont leader Michelle O’Neill has become deputy first minister. Despite the titles, both offices hold equal status in the ministerial executive. Foster said she was “deeply humbled”. The DUP leader said there was plenty of blame to go around for the three-year powersharing impasse but she insisted it was now time to look to the future. Significantly, given one of the key disputes at the heart of political crisis, Foster made reference to an Irish language phrase in a speech that stressed the need to work together going forward. “When I visited Our Lady’s Grammar in Newry, the pupils gave me a lovely picture as a gift,” … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Hauliers spending tens of thousands to bring empty lorries to Northern Ireland

Hauliers are spending tens of thousands of pounds bringing empty lorries to Northern Ireland, an industry spokesman has said. Seamus Leheny, of Logistics NI, said exports of goods from Northern Ireland to Great Britain are doing well, however less is coming back across the Irish Sea as suppliers are faced with new customs demands. There is a varied picture at shops in Northern Ireland, with empty shelves evident in some parts of some supermarkets – while others appear well stocked. Expand Close Seamus Leheny, policy manager at Logistics UK (Liam McBurney/PA) PA /Seamus Leheny, policy manager at Logistics UK (Liam McBurney/PA) First Minister Arlene Foster described it as “entirely unacceptable that these issues continue to persist”. “They have to be dealt with urgently, my colleagues at Westminster will be raising some of those issues this week and I’ll continue to have those conversations with Michael Gove. “We’re asking for solutions … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment