Author Archives: GoogleNews

UUP MLA backs controversial LGBT event at Stormont

The Ulster Unionist Party has defended a decision by one of its MLAs to sponsor a controversial LGBT event at Stormont. Alternative Queer Ulster will take place in the Great Hall, Parliament Buildings on Saturday, July 27. Last year’s event at Stormont caused a storm after footage emerged showing drag queen Electra La Cnt swearing loudly into the microphone. At one point they shouted: “Up the f****** queers” while punching the air, followed by rapturous applause from the audience. Among those co-sponsoring the event this year is UUP MLA John Stewart, who said it provides a ”platform and voice” for the LGBT community. When it comes to the legalisation of same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland, the UUP remains split and allows members to have a conscience vote on the issue. Some of the most senior party members – including Upper Bann MLA Doug Beattie – have been vocal in their … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Paper review: Eddie Girvan killer’s ‘lenient sentence’

Image copyright News Letter Image copyright Daily Mirror Two faces stare out from all the front pages: Those of Margaret Henderson-McCarroll and her victim, Eddie Girvan. Henderson-McCarroll pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Girvan, 67, in his Greenisland home, on the grounds of diminished responsibility. The 31-year-old, who has 100 previous convictions, was told on Monday she must serve three years in prison. The papers report on criticism that the sentence is simply not enough. “Too lenient,” reports the Belfast Telegraph, “does not fit crime”, says The Irish News and “shock,” says the News Letter. The News Letter quotes UUP MLA Roy Beggs who said he did not feel a “sufficient sentence” had been handed down, considering Henderson-McCarroll’s history. Finola Meredith in the Belfast Telegraph calls it a “shockingly short sentence for a nasty and murky crime”, while Allison Morris’s analysis in The Irish New is more nuanced, describing … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Beggs congratulates East Antrim Honours recipients

Ulster Unionist MLA Roy Beggs has congratulated recipients of the Queen’s Birthday Honours. In a statement, Mr Beggs said: “Congratulations to Queen’s birthday honours recipients across Northern Ireland, with special mention to Jacqueline Stewart MBE (services to education at Downshire School) and Walter Lambe MBE (East Antrim Boys’ Brigade).” Also paying tribute was Carrickfergus Academy which offered “congratulations and best wishes” to the former principal, describing her as a “very worthy recipient”. Parliamentary reports show first speaker only – follow this lnk for the full transcription. Articles may come from parliamentary reports, various public news feeds and Google News Search. Content is republished here for context. Copyright is respected and remains with the original author at all times. Original Article:https://www.carrickfergustimes.co.uk/education/beggs-congratulates-east-antrim-honours-recipients-1-8958236

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

MBE honour for former Downshire principal

The former principal of Downshire School in Carrick is “delighted and very humbled” to be awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours. Jackie Stewart, who lives in Islandmagee, was nominated for the award by the school’s board of governors. “I knew nothing about it until I got the letter from the Cabinet Office. “It was a secret that was very hard to keep, especially from my family.” However, Mrs. Stewart has attributed her achievements at Downshire School to a team effort. ”To get an award on a personal level is lovely but there are a lot of people who have supported me over the years.” Jackie was principal of Downshire for 12 years where she spend her entire 35-year career. Previously, Mrs. Stewart was a history and geography teacher and helped with hockey and badminton. She admits that she misses the “buzz” of the school, her former colleagues and … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Numbers waiting year to see consultant up 2,000% in Northern Ireland

UUP MLA Roy Beggs By Gillian Halliday July 12 2019 The number of people waiting more than a year for a first outpatient appointment has surged by almost 2,000% in four years. New figures offer another insight into the waiting list crisis in Northern Ireland’s health service. As of April, 100,786 people were waiting longer than 52 weeks for their initial outpatient appointments. This is 1,900% more than in 2015 when the equivalent figure was just 5,000. Read More People are dying in pain, without ever making it to top of the list In addition, a further 22,687 patients were waiting longer than a year for inpatient or day case treatment as of April. The shocking figures come as a report published this week warned that people in Northern Ireland – both inpatients and outpatients – are 3,000 times more likely to wait over a year for treatment than their … Continue reading

Posted in In The News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment