Monthly Archives: July 2014
Ulster Unionist representative Roy Beggs MLA has voiced his support for the UUP Transport Minister Danny Kennedy MLA’s call that the concessionary travel scheme should be protected by the Finance Minister and the Northern Ireland Executive. East Antrim MLA Roy Beggs said “It is my belief that free travel is beneficial to older people as it facilitates visits to friends and family, therefore keeping them active and independent. It reduces the potential for older people becoming isolated and so has s beneficial health impact. I understand that as of yet, the Finance Minister Simon Hamilton MLA, of the DUP has not proposed to protect the concessionary travel funding. I would hope that the Finance Minister and the Executive listens to Transport Minister Danny Kennedy and unanimously agree to continue to support free public transport for older persons.” Ends
Ulster Unionist politician Roy Beggs MLA has attended a Health and Social Care Regulators event in Stormont, Parliament Buildings. The event was held in the Long Gallery. Roy can be seen pictured (L), with Jimmy Spratt MLA (R) and Alan Walker alongside Maeve Hully from the General Medical Council (GMC).
Restaurant and fast food chain McDonalds now employs 80 people in Carrickfergus, according to a new report. The independent economic assessment, commissioned by the company to mark its 40th anniversary in the United Kingdom, reveals the business and its suppliers make a combined annual contribution of £76 million to the Northern Ireland economy. The Carrick outlet opened in 1997 at Rodgers Quay and has taken part in a number of community projects. Franchisee Des Lamph began his McDonald’s career over 20 years ago and now runs nine restaurants. He said: “Creating and sustaining jobs locally is of huge importance to me and the fact that we have been able to make a significant financial contribution to Northern Ireland is something my team and I are very proud of. “As a member of the local community, I’m dedicated to continuing the work that my teams are already doing, from supporting local … Continue reading
Unionist politicians stood shoulder to shoulder at Larne’s Twelfth celebrations, in protest over the Parades Commission’s determination on Ardoyne. At all 17 Twelfth demonstrations throughout the province on Saturday, marchers paused for six minutes in protest against the Parades Commission’s ban on the contentious return Orange Order parade past Ardoyne. The six-minute protest was designed to symbolise the time it would have taken the Ligoniel lodges to march past the contentious north Belfast flashpoint. During the protest, Larne District Master Harry Carter read out a prepared statement, in which the Orange Order pledged to “continue the struggle to make Northern Ireland a better place by getting rid of the Parades Commission”. He added: “We offer our solidarity and support to all Orange Order parade organisers who have had their heritage and traditional parades banned by the Parades Commission.” Meanwhile, DUP councillor Gordon Lyons congratulated all those involved in organising the … Continue reading
The Housing Executive has said it will take steps to protect houses close to the site of a contentious bonfire on Oakwood Road. A spokesperson for the housing authority indicated that an inter-agency meeting was held over the structure at Carrick Town Hall on Thursday afternoon, with a number of community representatives present. The controversial bonfire attracted media attention last week following the circulation of a number of photos on social media, which showed a significant number of tyres on top of the structure. “After consultation with the Northern Ireland Fire Rescue Service and a representative from the community, the Housing Executive will be erecting screening at the front of a number of agreed properties close to the bonfire site, as well as boarding up windows and doors at a number of properties,” a spokesperson for the Executive said. “Bonfires are traditional events and we work with the local community … Continue reading